Sunday, September 5, 2010

Buckeye Endurance Run Kicked my Butt!! 85.7 miles in 26:23 and a big DNF

Well I only got credit for 100K, and a DNF for the 100 mile race but I do have a few things to be happy about during the Buckeye Endurance Race this weekend. 

I did not make my 100 mile attempt, but did set two age group state "resident" records along the way (50 miles and 100K). (update, there was another AZ resident that was 38 years old who kicked my but in the 50 mile and 100k split, so there are no records for me.  I think he posted 11 hours for the 100k and just over 8 for the 50 miles, so I'm not the stud that I once thought I was.  There was no 100 mile record for my age group, so that make the DNF even more painful, because I could have seen my name in the record books if I would not have quit.  Anyway, there is always another day, but as I get into the next few age groups the competition get tougher, plus I'll be heading out to a new state in just a few months from now.  Anyway, I went further in time (26 hours 23 minutes, and distance 85.7 miles) than ever before, which I consider a win or at least very good training for Javelina Jundred in October.

The incredible story was meeting some of the "marathon maniacs" that this race attracted due to the fact that it offered a night marathon (something rare).

The race attracted the current world record holder (Larry) who has done 105 marathons/ultras in a single year, and pursuer (Yolanda) Yolanda's website, who is well on her way to breaking that record this year. She pulled off an incredible "quad" this weekend, doing four marathons in four states in only three days; can you believe that? Also, the winner of the 100 mile race was maniac Ed, who has 45 marathons/ultras already this year. I could go on and on about what interesting people were out there and what a pleasure it was to get to know them as you ran/walked in the 500 meter circles.

I'm now sitting in my old office which is about 30 minutes from the race location recovering and drinking a couple tall PBR's and just trying to get my wits about myself.  My quads are hammered and I have this wicked heat rash/sun burn or something all over my upper thighs/ankles some of which are oozing puss (nice right).  Anyway, I'm going to sleep in my office before making the three hour drive back to Sierra Vista.

It is amazing that even with 200 plus miles per month that I'm not trained enough to complete a 100 miler.  Part of it is nutriention and part of it is a weak mind, but I'm really having trouble coming out on top of 100 mile attempts.  I know I need to do more long runs over 20 miles, but they are such a pain in the ass.  I much rather run two or three times a day to get my miles (and I pay for it). 

I should have some cool pictures in a few days as well as a link to all my splits and to the new state records when they are posted.   I can't believe that I'm so happy to set a 38 year old resident record of 50 miles in 11:34 and 100K in 15:23; those are really slow times, but I'm ok with that because of the 108 degree temps.  I know what a challenge it was for me and feel confident that I will lower those times in December when I take this same course on but with MUCH better weather!  I think I will also get the 50K (6:10). 

All in all it was a great day.  I'll post pictures when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment