Sunday, March 7, 2010

Old Pueblo 50 Mile Race Report - 13:49:18

Long day, but I had an absolutely incredible time at the Old Pueblo 50 Miler!  I got up at 1am and was on the road to Sonita, AZ by 1:30.  It took me longer than I tought to arrive at the race start due to about 15 miles of dirt road that I crept on because I didn't want to hurt my poor little truck that hasn't known the likes of dirt roads. 

I arrive at Kentucky Ranch and put on an extra sweatshirt then walked the 1/4 mile to the race start to pick up my race number/packet and was pleasantly surprised with the home-made race numbers with their colorful boarders.  Then I dropped off my drop bags and headed back up to my car to warm up for about 30 more minutes.

Before I knew it the gun went off and we were off on the 50 mile journey.  I was able to run without pain for only about 13 miles, but then my knee problem reared its ugly head and I was reduced to walking for 33 miles.  The good thing about the race is that I met up with Donovan and we just clicked and talked for the last 25 miles.

I was hurting, but talking helped keep my mind off of it.  Anyway, it was a long day but I enjoyed the great course and the multiple river crossings during the last ten miles.  I walked for about an hour in the dark, but it was amazing to see the bright stars above.  Also, the glowing chem lights made finding the trail in the drark simple.

I left the race site just after 8pm and back home just after 11pm, then to sleep for a few hours and back to work this morning.  I was happy to feel my knee not hurting as much as I expected.  Maybe it will heal up over these next few days when I give it some rest. 

If I were to be living in Arizona next year I would do the race again, but who knows where I will be this time next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment